Thursday, January 04, 2007

I feel pretty good...

I'm officially going to pat myself on the back. Beginning Friday, 12/29, I officially went back to running. I'm planning to run the 5/3 25K in May, so it's time to get busy. I've now ran 5 of the last 6 days. Today I did some interval work and my lungs were burning.

Before anyone reads this and decides to lecture me about beginners taking on too much too fast, let me explain my current state of fitness.

Starting in the Fall, I traditionally switch to a hardcore leg and core routine. This is in preparation for skiing/snowboarding. This year was no exception. By October I was doing some heavy leg presses and hitting my abs pretty hard. This always pays off when I head to Steamboat in early December. My December Steamboat trip went well, now I'm prepping for a return to the 'Boat on the 18th of January. The running should help with the cardio aspect, which never hurts at altitude.

Here's my dilemma, I've now ran 4 days straight and I plan to run a longer run on Saturday (today is Wed). I want an off day, which I think I'll take tomorrow and then run a steady 5k on Friday. I've been running a 5k as my standard route and comfortably finishing these, with more consistency each day. The "expert" training recommendation for Saturday is 7 miles. The "beginner" training recommendation for Saturday is 3 miles. I think I'm going to work on a middle distance...maybe 5 miles?

I need to work out my individual plan and figure out my taper for the May 12th run.

- Scott

No comments: