Monday, November 03, 2008

ROAD WARRIOR entry

This is my entry text for the 5/3 River Bank Run ROAD WARRIOR team...


Why do I run? Who do I run for?

I run because I can.

I’m your typical runner. I don’t have the “runner’s look”. I carry a few extra pounds. I feel that running is at least 90% mental, which is the part I enjoy. I’ll likely never win a race. I’ve experienced that elusive “runner’s high” but also experienced the “runner’s funk” that comes with training.

Training comes with many obstacles. Getting up and running when it’s raining or snowing, or hot and humid defines our commitment.

I have two young kids. Saturday morning long runs sometimes are rescheduled for soccer games.

Along with the typical obstacles we face as runners, I also have another more serious one.

In January of 2006 I was misdiagnosed with Lymphoma. The real diagnosis was Sarcoidosis. This is the disease that Bernie Mac and Packer great Reggie White suffered with. The week that I lived with the cancer diagnosis provided a new outlook on life. I marked the end of 2006 by training for the River Bank Run and completing my first 25K in May of 2007.

I am now living with a little understood disease that attacks the lungs and many other parts of the body. My running is a statement against Sarcoidosis and hopefully it’s an inspiration to others.

I run because I can.

Who do I run for? I run for my family and hope that running will keep me around for a long time. I also run for those suffering from the same rare disease that I have.

The opportunity to share my training experiences as a ROAD WARRIOR would help to inspire others who are suffering from debilitating diseases. I also think my experiences as a dad in his late 30’s would reach many typical runners.

No comments: