Saturday, April 28, 2007

Running...and setbacks...

I haven't posted in awhile because I was experiencing a little let down with running. My knee had been hurting a little, and I backed off on the training to get it healed up a bit. When I started getting back into things, I made a huge mistake. I didn't have much time to get a run in, so I was rushing a bit. A bit too much rushing for adequate stretching. I ran a 4.5 mile trail run, during which I ended up straining my calf. I know better than this, I've suffered calf strains in the past, including last summer/fall to both calves.

So...I dropped the running back to pretty much nil. The Riverbank was starting to come into question. This week I managed to get a couple of 4 mile runs in, as much to test my lungs as anything. The lungs felt decent, so I opted to run the optional "run the course" run with the Mentor Group of GR Running Club. I planned on running til my legs or lungs told me it was time to turn around...then walking if necessary. I ended up running the entire course. It really felt good. I'm hurting now...but I've built my confidence up. I kept my overall pace to a little under 10 minutes and ended up with a 2:30 (it's a 25K run).

The hills are brutal...which makes the last 4 miles or so pretty tough. I didn't injure myself, and my calf actually feels better than before the race. Getting it hot and loose seems to help. The time off healed up my knee as well.

I'm off to Steamboat for the week before the race...actually for work. I'll run out there...but not the big miles. Hopefully running at altitude will help me come race day.

- Scott

No comments: