Monday, October 03, 2011

Individualism

I'm conservative. Notice I didn't say that I'm "pretty" conservative, or "very" conservative, or a "little" conservative. You either are or you aren't. I believe in the individual. In my opinion, individualism is the foundation that built America. When governments begin to make individualism a bad thing, bad things happen. Unions don't like individuals. Harsh statement? What's solidarity? Putting the group ahead of the individual. What's communism? Putting the group ahead of the individual.

Don't get me wrong. There's a time for putting the group ahead of the individual. A football team has to be a TEAM, not 11 individuals. There's nothing wrong with recognizing the sum of the parts. The problem comes when an overreaching authority takes away the choice. A player chooses to be on a team. A union member typically has no choice but to join the union.

I sincerely hope that we're not losing our choice.

No comments: